Tuesday, April 10, 2018

G.L. Cromarty Interview


First off, tell us a little bit about you~
I grew up in the UK and move to Perth, Western Australia eleven years ago, where I now live with my husband and my two oddball cats. I love exploring historical sites from all cultures, but I’m English so I definitely have a soft spot for old ruinous castles.

Tell us about your books/What genre do you consider your books? 
My books are sci-fi with a touch of fantasy. I love reading both so it’s not surprising that my books crosses over between the two.

When did you start writing? 
I never wrote as a child, but I read lots…it was pretty much all I wanted to do. Once I finished university and I had free time I started writing. I don’t think I have gone more than a few weeks without jotting down something since. I only dabbled in it for many years, mostly playing about with ideas and scenes that I never finished. Five years ago I moved into my current home, and on New Years Eve I set myself a goal to finish a story and publish a book.
It took my four years to get the book out there! But there is a world of ‘stuff’ going on between a draft and a finished book that I knew nothing about when I started.

Why do you write? 
Like most writers, I love it, pure and simple. I think I started reading as an escape from reality, and writing is a continuation of that. That doesn’t mean I dislike my life, I love it! Just that there is power in controlling a world you create yourself. In a book you get to play god with your imaginary characters. It’s an amazing feeling when you’re writing, and all the little threads come together and somehow out of nothing a whole story unfolds. We all desire to create something, for me, I like creating imaginary worlds.

What would be your choice for a superpower? 
To not need to sleep.

Who is your favorite author?
I would have to pick Tolkein, simply because I first fell in love with fantasy books after reading the Hobbit when I was about 13 years old. That book guided a good decade of reading habits.

What are you reading now?
I’ve just finished Feral by PJ Post, and I’m moving on to book two. Post-apocalyptic and not for the faint hearted! Loved book one and can’t wait for book two.

Who is your favorite character to write?
I feel bad parent saying I have a favorite…but well...It would have to be John Tanis from my Divided World trilogy. There’s a lot of fun to be had in writing an antihero. They just do things their own way. He has been exiled from his home world and ends up fighting for their enemy. He’s fiercely protective of his new people and will stop an nothing to keep them safe. And torn, because there are people he still loves in his former home. He has a code, but it’s not what you would consider normal. And violent…definitely violent.
A close second would be Nate, who is a bio-engineered man with cybernetic implants that allow him to infiltrate system. He comes with a few quirks and adds a little humor. 


Do you have a writing process?
I’ve become more disciplined over time. My first book turned into a trilogy, so I need to put a container around the idea or it never has an end!
· I start out with an idea.
· Brainstorm some key points, including the rough beginning and end.
· I usually get the beginning and end done fairly soon and then slot everything in between. It’s not a linear process and I jump around as new ideas emerge. Even though I plan a beginning and end I’m not worried if they change. I just need something to contain it before I start otherwise it just goes on…
· I have a comprehensive self-editing routine.
· And a wonderful bunch of beta readers (several are authors). I love people who poke holes in the story and challenge it.
· It takes me a long time from start to end, and there are many, many iterations before I even start thinking about fun stuff like covers!

What advice would you give to an aspiring author? 
Be prepared for the long haul.
You’re never going to be rich, don’t expect it.
Get a blog, twitter account and Facebook page set up early, but don’t be a slave to it…little and often.
Enjoy every stage.
Get feedback early, preferably from someone who does not know you personally and is prepared to give you good constructive feedback.
I am not a person awash with writerly confidence, and if you are anything like me, sharing your inner world is hard. I could have so easily spent the rest of my life writing bits and pieces and never shared with a soul. I am forever glad that I stepped out of my comfort zone. Someone telling you they loved your story is the most amazing feeling. Yes, not everyone will love your book, some people might even hate it, but that’s okay. Those who love it will make it all worthwhile, don’t deny yourself a chance to experience that.
JUST DO IT.

What inspired you to pursue writing? 
Toughie. I think I just have an active imagination, and writing my stories down naturally followed on. At the heart of it, a desire to share.

What are your favorite TV shows/Movies to watch in between writing? 
I don’t watch a lot of TV, but when I do I tend to binge watch a whole show. Probably more TV than movies although I tend to go and see any big Sci-fi movies that come out.
Altered Carbon is my current favourite! But I also love GoT, 12 Monkeys, Daredevil, Westworld, and the Expanse series.

What are your current projects? 
I just finished the trilogy with the final book released on the 10th April.
And drafted book one of a new six book series set in the same universe. All new characters so it has been a lot of fun getting to know that. The premise is a war torn universe. One side is about to lose, and they know it. They send a series of colony ships to a distant planet identified as habitable. But when they arrive they find their barren planet has already been terraformed with a city under construction….the mysterious creators are not home.

Quick Fire: 
Cats or dogs? Cats
Coffee or tea? Coffee
Favorite food? cherries
Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream? Vanilla
What are 3 things you never leave home without? Sunglasses, my phone, kindle
Laptop or desktop? laptop
Who are 3 famous people you would to hang out with? Can I stay at home with a good book?
TV or Movies? TV 




Visit me on my AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE to borrow any of my books for FREE!

Best-selling author of Wake the Dead! On Amazon Kindle here!

All Artwork and covers of my works by William J. Kenney & Carlos Cara

All maps, names and content copyright Ashenclaw Studios 2014 unless otherwise noted.


1 comment:

  1. ATTN: GL Crow:
    As you very well know, dear,
    yooNeye shall write for eternity.
    But, yet, alas! cried poor, poor
    Yorick (Shakespeare). How dost
    we getta Uppastairs? (skuze d'New
    Joisey axent, kapiche?) Follow us
    to the Wedding Feast, gorgeous:
    ● en.gravatar.com/MatteBlk ●
    Cya soon, miss adorable...

    ReplyDelete