Sunday, January 3, 2016

R.K. Gold Interview


First off, tell us a little bit about you...

My name is R.K. Gold; I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY. I went to the University of Maryland where I earned a Bachelors Degree in English. I have two book releases planned for 2016 with my publisher Weasel Press and am planning on attending Grad School for Economics.

Tell us about your books/What genre do you consider your books?

I mostly write magical realism. I like to think how ordinary life would react to extraordinary events. Just sort of drop something fantastic in the real world and see if people embrace it, freak out, ignore it, etc. Though I sometimes write crime, and satire.

When did you start writing?

I have been writing my entire life, but to be honest, growing up it was more talking about writing than actually doing it. You know what I mean, when you write that one story in 3rd grade and it’s all you can talk about until you’re 13. Yeah that was me sadly. The funny thing is back then I hated reading. The first book I ever read for fun was Ender’s Game. I read that freshman year of high school.

I only started writing legitimately in January/February 2014. I published my first work that year in various journals, and wrote my first book in March that year.

Why do you write? 

It’s just what I love to do. It makes me happy. My day doesn’t feel complete unless I hit my minimum reading and writing goals.

What would be your choice for a superpower?

Either super speed, because I would abuse it and set sprinting world records, but like only by a second and half or something like that so I could live the life of a super athlete. Or I would want the power to master any ability just by thinking about it.

Who is your favorite author? 

Where to begin? I mean I try to base my career on Stephen King’s success. The last book I read was Skin Cage by indie author Nico Laeser. If I’m in the mood for a fun quick read I’ll pick up Grisham. I love Vonnegut. If I’m going the comic book route I favor Alan Moore. And if I want to give the sexy answer to impress people I’ll probably recite Langston Hughes’ Dream Deffered:
“What happens to a dream deferred? 

Does it dry up 
Like a raisin in the sun?”

What are you reading now? 
I am currently reading Saving Capitalism by Robert Reich and Going Under by Silas Payton

Who is your favorite character to write?

I like writing characters who were once successful, then completely fell off the deep end and have gone a little crazy. They usually have a lot of bizarre quirks.

Do you have a writing process? 

I usually am able to sit down anywhere and knock out at least a thousand words, but if I’m having trouble focusing I like sitting at my kitchen table with the shades pulled back. A lot of natural light.

What advice would you give to an aspiring author? Read every day and write every day. Also, Google is the best mentor you can find. Whenever I have had a question I have literally just Googled it.

What inspired you to pursue writing?

I just realized that it’s possible to turn into a career if you’re willing to treat it like a job. It can’t be something you just do every once in a while when you’re feeling inspired. The more you treat it like an actual 9-5 the more of a career it becomes.

What are your favorite TV shows/Movies to watch in between writing?

My favorite movie is a toss up; if I need a serious action packed flick I will watch V for Vendetta; if I need something a little more relaxing and funny I will watch Midnight in Paris. As for television shows, I go through bouts of loving Anime like Attack on Titan and Full Metal Alchemist, but then I also am all for binging sitcoms when I need to just sink into a couch and disappear for a day.

What are your current projects?

I have two books coming out in 2016 (so far). The first is titled Brinwood and it’s a novella about a fictional town called Brinwood, which was taken over by a religious cult. The second is titled God Hates You Too, and it’s about a med school drop out, turned author, who is obsessed with killing God. That is due to come out summer 2016

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to readers?

It is pretty easy for me to trust a dog lover.

Quick Fire:

Cats or dogs?
Dogs- though to be honest I love all animals.

Coffee or tea?
Coffee- but I do drink a fair amount of tea as well.

Favorite food?
Pizza with pineapples and jalapeƱos

Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream?
Vanila

What are 3 things you never leave home without?
Travel size Listerine, a beanie, my wallet.

Laptop or desktop?
Laptop

Who are 3 famous people you would like to hang out with?
Stephen King, Robert Reich, and Obama

TV or Movies?
Yes… Final answer.






Visit me on my AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE to borrow any of my books for FREE!

Best-selling author of Wake the Dead! On Amazon Kindle here!

All Artwork and covers of my works by William J. Kenney & Carlos Cara

All maps, names and content copyright Ashenclaw Studios 2014 unless otherwise noted.





No comments:

Post a Comment