Thursday, January 3, 2013

Marny Copal Interview

I had the distinct pleasure of catching up with paranormal/urban fantasy author Marny Copal just the other day and she agreed to be the recipient of an interview. Marny's book, Freeblood is the first book in the Quinn Chronicles and the Kindle edition is only 99 cents through January 15! Now go pick it up!



Marny, thanks for stopping by here at Eye on Ashenclaw. When did you start writing?
I started writing when I was a little kid. My earliest tales featured our household cats as secret agents. When my seventh grade English teacher told the class to write a short story, mine turned into a novella. That assignment stands out in my mind as my first real and exciting writing experience.

Why do you write?
I write because it’s fun. I enjoy developing characters and creating scenes. I also write to develop an understanding of certain actions, feelings, issues, and concerns.

What would be your choice for a superpower? This is a tough one. So many options. The power to heal would be my choice, but I also wouldn’t mind having the ability to fly.

Who is your favorite author? I don’t have a favorite author, but I have a lot of go-to authors in fantasy, which is my favorite genre.

What are you reading now? I’m reading Wildwood, by Colin Meloy; Spider Silk, by Rod Collins; and Neuromancer, by William Gibson. I recently finished Kevin Hearne’s Hexed.

Who is your favorite character to write? I prefer writing about characters with gumption and flaws. My gutsy, smart-ass protagonist from Freeblood, Quinn Zauber, fits the bill.

Do you have a writing process? I like to develop an idea in my head before I start to write. This often happens when I’m out for a walk. Then I sit down to type what I thought up. If I come to a stop and more ideas aren't flowing easily, I get up and do chores around the house. Typically, writing problems are solved when I’m away from the computer, doing other things.

I don’t try to force anything, and I’m not an advocate of keeping the butt glued to the chair until ideas come.

I used to outline scenes late at night, but lately I've been doing a lot more actual writing during the wee hours. I’m more productive when I switch things up every now and then.

What advice would you give to an aspiring author? Be teachable. Learn your craft. Go to writing classes, and read books about writing—everything from grammar primers to symbolism studies. Also, read, read, read inside and outside your genre. Learn to cope with critiques and rejection. Those are part of the business. Perseverance is essential; don’t give up.

What inspired you to pursue writing? Many wonderful authors have encouraged me to think, feel, and experience life in different ways. They are my inspiration.

Tell us about your book. Freeblood is a fantasy thriller set in Portland, Oregon, driven by nimble banter, budding chemistry, and seat-of-the-pants action. Quinn is a lost soul, just getting by financially and emotionally. When her roommate Jo-Jo is kidnapped under strange circumstances, she sets out with her cousin Kasey to find answers in the supernatural world. The hunt takes them many places, including to the doorstep of a shrewd vampire club owner and deep into the infamous Shanghai Tunnels beneath the city. Paranormal investigator Del Whelan steps in to assist, which to Quinn, still smarting from their unresolved attraction, isn't much help at all.





 Please join me and the other amazingly talented authors over @ Skulldust Circle where we have formed a Writer's Circle that must be seen--a collection of brilliant, up & coming independently published speculative fiction authors with much to give both now and in the future!

All of my work can be found on AMAZON -- Kindle versions here

See you in Wothlondia! Cheers!

Please visit MY HOME PAGE to enjoy an extended reading experience, see direct links to purchase my full length novel, Covenant of the Faceless Knights, the short stories: Wothlondia Rising, and to see what else Ashenclaw Studios, LLC has in store in the future!

All maps, names and content copyright Ashenclaw Studios 2012 unless otherwise noted.






No comments:

Post a Comment