Monday, February 23, 2015

Jeff Roberts Interview


I've recently had the pleasure of meeting Jeffrey Roberts, writer of science fiction, fantasy, horror and comedy. Author of THE HEALER. Jeff, thanks for stopping by and sharing with the readers of the blog over here and best of luck moving forward. So, let's discover some info about Jeff....

First off, tell us a little bit about you
I was born in New York City on 2/24/1949. I attended Northern Arizona University, in Flagstaff, AZ, where I received degrees in writing and American history. I’m an advocate of disclosing the truth about UFO’s; I’m an airplane freak, and I’ve lived in Tucson, AZ for 4 years, having moved from my hometown of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Tell us about your books/What genre do you consider them? 
 I write science fiction, horror, fantasy, and comedy/fantasy.

When did you start writing? 
I started writing in college.

Why do you write? 
To create worlds that never were – but might; characters that never existed – but could; and strange situations in this life- and others that can only be imagined.

What would be your choice for a superpower? 
I think perhaps either invisibility, or the power of teleportation.

Who is your favorite author? 
 I have no 1 favorite author, but several come to mind: Ray Bradbury, James Thurber, Thornton Wilder, Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury – and I kind of like me, at the risk of sounding conceited!


What are you reading now? 
Nothing right now. Too busy writing and promoting.

Who is your favorite character to write? 
The underdog, the iconoclast that saves the day and gains new found respect.

Do you have a writing process? 
 I write in long hand first, on black & white composition books, where I edit ceaselessly until it looks like I’ve hemorrhaged all over it. Then I transfer the final version to my computer, on WORD 2007.

What advice would you give to an aspiring author? 
Buy all the books you can about the craft of writing, study them—then toss them in the garbage! Because if you follow them to the letter, your book will end up bloodless, like a dry textbook. And it will read like everyone else that did the exact same thing! Do you think Hemingway or Steinbeck followed all the rules? Hardly. They had their “Own voice”. Develop your own voice, your own style! March to the beat of a different drummer, and you’ll be remembered for it!

What inspired you to pursue writing? 
Hard to say. My Dad was a writer for radio after the war. Perhaps creativity is genetic. I reasoned that since I didn’t have the math skills to be an astronautical engineer with NASA, I would use the one mental gift I did have, a creative mind- to write stories that challenge the imagination.

What are your favorite TV shows/Movies to watch in between writing? 
Sleepy Hollow, Grimm, Constantine, Supernatural, Scorpion, and Ghost Adventures, to name a few. Plus the History and Travel channel.

What are your current projects? 
My next book, a fantasy entitled IN THE SHADOW OF THE HOUSE OF GOD, should be out in about a month, and I’m working on a horror novel, THE HORROR ON THE HMS COTTINGLY.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to readers? 
Please buy THE HEALER, by Jeffrey G. Roberts! It is a 5-star science fiction novel whose plot has never been done before!


Quick Fire: Cats or dogs? Cats, but I adore puppies, and all animals.
Coffee or tea? Coffee, but I enjoy tea also.
Favorite food? Anything that doesn’t eat me first! But out of many things, probably steak and pizza.
Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream? Definitely chocolate.
What are 3 things you never leave home without? My clothes, my wallet, and my phone.
Laptop or desktop? Laptop, a HP 2000.
Who are 3 famous people you would to hang out with? Nikola Tesla, Capt. Glenn Edwards, for whom Edwards A.F.B. was named after, and scientist Dr. Thomas Townshend Brown, who experimented with electrostatic propulsion in the 50’s.
TV or Movies? TV.




Visit me on my AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE to borrow any of my books for FREE!

Best-selling author of Wake the Dead! On Amazon Kindle here!

All Artwork and covers of my works by William J. Kenney & Carlos Cara

All maps, names and content copyright Ashenclaw Studios 2014 unless otherwise noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment