Friday, August 2, 2013

Proud to be a geek! Are you?


I'm baaaaack! I've been remiss in my posting this week and somehting I read got me to thinking. I was on a fellow writer's blog (Mr. Ross Kitson's) and he mentioned something that got my wheels turning and inspired this post. I know...uh-oh! Anyway, he mentioned something about downplaying his geek-dom, or something along those lines, to his wife's friend's husband who he'd just met. I thought to myself: why? And I recall a few things about me and my friends and whatnot growing up. I never hid my love of comics, superheroes, D&D, RPG's, etc, ever. Even when I started dating.

I say this because it is and was kind of taboo. Was more than is, I suppose. You would not find the cheerleader for the football team chasing after the nerd that reads comics and plays video games. At least that's what it was like in the 80's! Now, it seems like it may be more acceptable. I don't know, I've been out of high school and college for...well...let's just say a long time.

This one says it all...
Anyway, as I was watching my friends avoid discussing the subject and generally denying their geek-dom, I embraced mine. I figured if a girl I was dating was ashamed or embarrassed about what I liked and enjoyed, I didn't have much of a future anyway. Or at the very least, that future would be riddled with clandestine meetings with friends for RPG sessions, etc....the heck with 'em! That's not my cup of tea, anyway.

I also have one other thing I am reminded of that is reminiscent of this  that I feel compelled to share. I used to work for a company where I used to drive my work van and I did not have my own vehicle. And I said to a friend that I used to work with, 'what, am I gonna take her out on a date in my work van?' He responded by saying something along the lines of 'if she has a problem with what kind of car you are driving, you shouldn't be dating her in the first place.' I thought that was relevant and somewhat profound.

I guess I'm posting this to encourage more geeks to come out of the closet and stand proud. Be what you are and embrace your inner-geek! I know I've walked the walk my entire life and I tend to wear my emotions on my sleeve anyway. It seems to have worked out for me so far!

As always, I'd love some feedback on your own personal experiences. And thanks for stopping by!





Please join me and the other amazingly talented authors over @ Skulldust Circle where we have formed a Writer's Circle that must be seen--a collection of brilliant, up & coming independently published speculative fiction authors with much to give both now and in the future!

All Artwork and covers by William J. Kenney


See you in Wothlondia! Cheers!

Also, please visit MY HOME PAGE to enjoy an extended reading experience and to see what else Ashenclaw Studios, LLC has in store in the future!

All maps, names and content copyright Ashenclaw Studios 2012 unless otherwise noted.


2 comments:

  1. Cliques are still status quo, and I am sure always will be (in reference to your statement about cheerleaders and geeks). I would say that it has become less popular to be overtly critical or antagonistic of other cliques in comparison to our school days.

    I don't keep my geekishness in the closet - I keep my entire life there. Every aspect of it. I like to be as non-descript as possible. You know me, and I let it all hang out with people I am on friendly terms with. But most people can't process everything that is me.

    That is because too many people subscribe to the idea of labels, and when they try to label me, I come up as pretty damned weird. I know, because I've seen people change the way they interact with me when they find out what I like and don't like to do.

    Like at my last job, I was very open to converse with anyone, and did. When I started talking with some of the "geeks" who worked there, this lady who seemed to be the dominant personality started treating me differently and so did most of her crowd, which were largely the older and more respected group there. It got to the point where she seemed to have a problem with everything I did. I got moved eventually to a different shift and seldom had to deal with her.

    So as far as I am concerned, it is better for all involved that I remain unreadable unless we connect by similar interest. Internet makes it a lot easier too ^_^ BTW, geeks seem a lot less judgmental in my experience, probably because they like weird crap too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about being yourself. And I understand the caution that one would show around others who might be judgmental, but it doesn't mean you need to suppress who you are. I also find that 'geeks' are quirky in their own right probably and in that quirkiness is where we find similarities. Perhaps that familiarity with our own quirkiness leads us to be more open to everything else and everyone else. If that were true with everyone, the world would be a much better place!

    ReplyDelete