Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Robert Lawrence Interview


My latest author run in was with Mr. Robert Lawrence. Robert is a an author, husband and father and describes his work as "Young Adult with a sci-fi/fantasy element, but also a bit dystopian as well." So, read on to find out more about Robert...

First off, tell us a little bit about you~
I am 37 (nearly 38 which is scarily close to 40!), and I live with my wife and two children. When I am not writing, I typically watch TV/Movies, Airsoft (think of it as a grown-up version of paintball if you haven't heard of it) and play a lot of video games.

Tell us about your books/What genre do you consider your books?
The book that has just been released (knightfall) and its sequel that I am working on now (Darkest Before Dawn) and a little hard to classify! I think of them as Young Adult with a sci-fi/fantasy element, but also a bit dystopian as well. Reviewers seem to agree with me, they can't classify them either. The current story is a definite trilogy, with a fixed beginning-middle-end, but there are plenty more stories to tell in the universe afterwards if people want to read them.

When did you start writing? I have always written in one form or another. At school I would often write little stories about friends and family doing different and exciting things. As time went on, the stories got longer and more complex as the characters developed their own voices and were no longer based on people I knew. I went through stages of science fiction and horror (mirroring what I was reading at the time) before Ben started telling me his story.

Why do you write? The simplest answer is that the stories really want to be told! Really, I think about them all the time. They wake me up at night, in the shower, they distract me when I'm driving! The other answer is that I really enjoy it. Every day that I get to sit at the computer, making stuff up essentially, is a good day. Once this trilogy is done, I have several other stories in my brain, competing to be the next one that gets written.

What would be your choice for a superpower?Today, I would really like to be able to control the weather so my daughter's sports day won't be cancelled next week if it rains. I mean, really, I'm sure we did sports in the rain and snow when I was younger, why do they need to cancel it if it rains?

Who is your favorite author? Of all time, is probably Stephen King, he has written so many books that I have enjoyed, but there have been individual books by other authors that I have enjoyed more (if that makes sense). The Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman are an excellent example.

What are you reading now?I have just finished Light by Michael Grant (the last in the Gone series) and I have started Guardian Dragons by Catherine L Vickers, enjoying it so far.

Who is your favorite character to write? Catrina daughter-of-Ellabelle. She is, quite literally, capable of anything, and is somehow still functioning after enduring so much loss and hardship. I can't wait to see what she does when she finally gets her chance at revenge.

Do you have a writing process? 
Sort of. I have a general plan in my head of the story, each characters journey or story arc, and important plot points and roughly when they happen. Everything around that is fluid, and elements I realize as I write the story can dramatically change an overarching arc or important scene (like I didn't realize exactly who Alexander was until I wrote it at the end of book 1!). I try to do a more detailed plan of each chapter or the next couple of chapters before I sit down to write them, but even then the process is fluid and I will go back and change scenes or rewrite them completely.

What advice would you give to an aspiring author? I don't know, I still consider myself to be aspiring! Keep writing, no matter what. If you have a story you want to tell, get it down on paper and ask people to read it. Listen to their feedback and keep going. If you enjoy the story, others will as well. Write for you and no one else.

What inspired you to pursue writing?As I've said before, it's really that the stories want to be told. I like it when people enjoy what I have written, my best friend's son really liked Knightfall and so did my nephew so that always helps. If I could make it pay the bills, I would love to do it full time.

What are your favorite TV shows/Movies to watch in between writing?Current TV shows that I can't miss are Game of Thrones (just like everyone else I guess!), Castle, Dr Who (but this series really has been a bit poor, I hope they pull it all together Saturday for the last one), Community (but it really isn't the same without Dan Harmon), The League, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Walking Dead. There are others that I watch, but those would be the ones I would be upset about if I missed them. I just want to point out that I do have a life and I don't spend all of my time in front of the television!

What are your current projects?I am hard at work on book 2 of The Chronicle of Benjamin Knight (Darkest Before Dawn), I am about 60,000 words in, possibly a little over half way but it's hard to say exactly. After that is book 3 and then I will write either the Succession War or the first X-Calibre story, or maybe something else, who knows!

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to readers?Buy my book! No, really, buy it, it's awesome! Other than that, I really want feedback, honest feedback, otherwise how can I get better. If anyone would like a review copy or be involved in the beta reading process of book 2, or if I can help in some way anyone who is in a similar situation to me, get in touch via my website (www.jackson-lawrence.com) or my blog (http://jackson-lawrence.blogspot.co.uk). If anyone wants to chat about the story, their theories about where Ben really is, what might happen next or really anything at all, just drop me a line.

Quick Fire:

Cats or dogs? Cats
Coffee or tea? Coffee (that one was easy!)
Favorite food? Propper food – chilli
Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream? Chocolate
What are 3 things you never leave home without? Phone, wallet and keys 
(but predictable I know, but that's assuming that I am already wearing clothes!)
Laptop or desktop? Desktop
Who are 3 famous people you would to hang out with? Simon Pegg (he would make me laugh as we geeked out), Stephen Hawkins (just to get an insight into how he sees the universe, he is incredible) and Joss Whedon (loved everything he has done, and have you seen the trailer for S.H.I.E.L.D. It looks amazing? I might even get some spoilers for Avengers 2)
TV or Movies? Currently, TV, but I really enjoyed Iron Man 3






Please join me and the other amazingly talented authors over @ Skulldust Circle where we have formed a Writer's Circle that must be seen--a collection of brilliant, up & coming independently published speculative fiction authors with much to give both now and in the future!


Visit my AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE

See you in Wothlondia! Cheers!

Also, please visit MY HOME PAGE to enjoy an extended reading experience and to see what else Ashenclaw Studios, LLC has in store in the future!

All maps, names and content copyright Ashenclaw Studios 2012 unless otherwise noted.



















No comments:

Post a Comment